threadbare leaf angels
curled, wrapping their wings, shielding
wisps of yesterday
~ ~ ~
various definitions of angel:
- A guardian spirit or guiding influence.
- A kind and lovable person.
- One who manifests goodness, purity, and selflessness.
- Informal. A financial backer of an enterprise, especially a dramatic production or a political campaign.
a person having qualities generally attributed to an angel, as beauty, purity, or kindliness.
a person of exemplary conduct or virtue:women were then seen as angels or whoresI know I’m no angel
used in similes or comparisons to refer to a person’s outstanding beauty, qualities, or abilities:you sang like an angel
used in approval when a person has been or is expected to be kind or willing to oblige:be an angel and let us come in
used as a term of endearment:I miss you too, angel
3 historical an English coin minted between 1470 and 1634 and bearing the figure of the archangel Michael killing a dragon.
4 (angels) Aviation, informal an aircraft’s altitude (often used with a numeral indicating thousands of feet):we rendezvous at angels nine
5 Aviation, informal an unexplained radar echo.
~ ~ ~
- Worldly rather than spiritual.
- Not specifically relating to religion or to a religious body: secular music.
- Relating to or advocating secularism.
- Not bound by monastic restrictions, especially not belonging to a religious order. Used of the clergy.
- Occurring or observed once in an age or century.
- Lasting from century to century.