January 9, 2012
During a tutoring session earlier today, an adult learner asked me, “Holly, how many jobs have you had (altogether)? And I used the opportunity to start a timeline — and a quick outline of all the jobs I could remember, full-time and part-time. The ensuing discussion led to new vocabulary for them, and they they recalled more jobs that they’d forgotten about.
Do you know how many jobs you’ve ever had?
A list of ALL the paying jobs I have had (all that I can remember)
- babysitting, NJ, primarily one family with three children, one always in diapers!
- W. T. Grant (anyone remember that Five-and-Dime chain store?), NJ, candy counter ~ loved those chocolate-covered orange and raspberry rings!
- Trenton State Office Building, NJ, file clerk for NJ Government
- McGraw-Hill Publishing Company, NJ, three clerical positions
- waitress, NJ, lasted only three days (tried it as a second job while working at McGraw-Hill)
- Liberty Mutual Insurance Co., Syracuse, NY, claims representative, supervisor, claims adjustor
- Alexander & Alexander, NY, workers compensation supervisor
- Affordable Flowers, NY, partner, 1/2 owner of retail floral shop
- Mom! (daughter born 1985)
- ‘Tis the Season Flowers & Gifts, NY, sole proprietorship (sold my 1/2 of Affordable Flowers and later started my own smaller shop — adhering to no-compete restrictions I’d agreed to)
- Teaching Assistant, NY, several classrooms, sometimes volunteer, sometimes paid
- State Farm Insurance Agencies (Bill Meyer and later Paul Seymour), NY
- 2 different floral shops, NY, part-time seasonal help (after I’d closed my flower shop)
- ____ (forget the name of the business), NY, rehired by Alexander & Alexander boss to work temporary part-time in a new venture he’d started
- Substitute Classroom Teacher, NY, K-12 (during and after I completed my degree, SUNY Oswego, 1998) = Syracuse City Schools, Grant Middle School, Mexico Middle School, Mexico High School
- Walker Upper Elementary School, VA,
- Whole Foods Market, VA, floral shop supervisor
- University of Virginia, Program Assistant for the Dean of the Office of African-American Affairs
- Substitute temp work for University of Virginia, Admissions, Women’s Studies
- CYFS (Children, Youth, & Family Services), VA, part-time, temporary, special projects
- flower shop, part-time seasonal help, VA
- Charlottesville City Schools Adult Learning Center, VA, GED, ESOL, Civics, Writing, Conversation, Workplace, and many classes (Instructor), Volunteer Coordinator, Distance Learning Coordinator
- Agnor-Hurt Elementary School, Albemarle County Schools, VA, part-time Elementary ESOL teacher
- Visiting Professor, The Catholic University of Korea, (Bucheon, South Korea)
- Adjunct Professor, Piedmont Virginia Community College, VA (one summer, temporary)
- Private Tutor, in person and online, VA (and from VA)
- Global English Corporation (EnglishCafe.com), Site Consultant and Lead Teacher
- Learn English With A World-Wide Perspective, Developer, Site Administrator, Lead Facilitator [http://EnglishWorldWide.ning.com] *site not yet live at the time I completed this list